Wednesday, March 11, 2015

SRFT Cooks: BBQ Ribs

I decided whilst cooking to take some pictures as I went along and thought why not put the whole thing on my blog, now I am no chef but I do enjoy to cook. You know when you crave a big home cooked meal, but don't know what you want? Well that is me most of the time. I was looking for some inspiration so whilst searching through recipes found a few for BBQ Ribs. 
I hadn't tried it before and thought why not. I don't particularly follow recipes, I like to free style and just go off of taste. I found a few recipes for BBQ Ribs and liked different parts of each, so I combined them together in my own way and came up with this, which I really enjoyed and had no complaints and empty plates after, so I think that justifies it tasting good. I have made the BBQ Sauce again a few times and each time it tasted just as good if not better so it wasn't just a fluke! Here I used ribs but have tried it on wings since which was even better. So before I ramble more here is my recipes for BBQ Ribs, Home made chips and coleslaw.



So as I said I used ribs, lamb ribs as i think their less fatty than pork ribs, and I find it easier if you get them pre cut, so just ask the butcher to do it for you if you don't feel like hacking at some meat.



Method


Step 1Pop your ribs into a bowl big enough for you to toss them around a bit.
Step 2
Deseed and chop the chilli fine, if your not too keen on spice miss it out or just add half.
Step 3
Chop your spring onions and crush your garlic. Add this along with your chopped chill to the ribs.


Step 4
Add to the bowl:
10 Tbsp of ketchup

6-8 Tbsp of brown sugar 

4 Tbsp of sweet chilli
4 Tbsp of soy sauce
4 Tbsp of Worcester sauce
2 Tbsp of paprika
As I said i'm not one for recipes but I find this is a good starting base, I added a few more Tbsp's of each, as I wanted more sauce. Its one of them things were you can be a bit more free handed and doesn't necessarily need precise measurements.
Step 5
Mix everything together well, and try and let it sit aside in the fridge covered for as long as possible so it can properly marinade, although the first time I did this I only left it for about half an hour which was still fine. So if your pressed for time don't stress to much.
Step 6
I put it in the oven at gas mark 4/electric 160° for 1 and a half to 2 hours, whilst checking it every so often.





You can pair this with many things but I love homemade chips and coleslaw and thought they accompanied perfect.

Coleslaw
My best friends mum taught me this one and a lot of things I learnt to cook to be honest, simple but tastes great. Take a whole white cabbage and 2 carrots and grate into a bowl. Chop a few more spring onions and chuck them in too. Now instead of mayonnaise I use salad cream, which tastes better in my opinion. I add about half of a 600g bottle. Add a touch of salt and pepper and mix well. Of course taste it to make sure its to your taste, and add more salad cream if necessary. This makes a large bowl so it lasts a few days in the fridge covered well.







Homemade chips
Again I must admit my best friend showed me this one, but homemade chips are so simple I love doing them when I have that little extra time. Simply wash and peel your potatoes and chop into similar chip sizes to allow them to all cook at the same time. I parboil the chopped potatoes for about 10 minutes just to soften them slightly. Lay them onto a tray drizzle a small amount of oil and sprinkle a little paprika and salt, I prefer sea salt and give them a little toss about to coat evenly. About 40 minutes before the ribs were done I put these in. Depending on the size of your potatoes and how many your cooking for, you'll know how many you need as you chop. Just a preference of mine is to let the chips crisp so some burn a little on the edges.










I chucked a little salad together as well and then all that is left to do is serve it all together. Now as I said i'm no chef but this was pretty simple and also pretty tasty. As well if you do try it out rope someone in to help, I love cooking with people and you get to delegate the tedious jobs to everyone else. If you do try it out let me know how it goes. This was just something I did on a whim but I really enjoyed it, so maybe expect a few more cooking posts in the future.

Do you love to cook as well and what is your signature dish? Let me know.







Till next time....
                       SRFTaylor

-Cause, baby, I could build a castle out of all the bricks they threw at me
And everyday is like a battle but every night with us is like a dream-

SHARE:

3 comments

  1. This looks so tasty!


    xo
    lpstickvillain.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it definitely was i'd recommend anyone try it!
      xx

      Delete

Instagram

© SRFTaylor | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig